So I know it’s not technically winter yet, but one can never be over-prepared yet, right? Even though where I live, it’s just now starting to feel like fall, but let’s just overlook that.
Cold weather has pros and cons. Pro–the cold weather makes you fell all cozy. Con–the cold weather leads to those dreaded winter blues. When it gets dark out around 5pm. When it’s dreary and windy outside. When you find yourself constantly having a cold. All you want to do is curl up in a blanket and watch movies all day. It really affects your mood overall and just makes less motivated to take on the day.
Well, good news, there are some simple ways that I’ve found have helped me decrease those winter blues:
- Drink something hot. Tea, coffee, hot chocolate–anything is fine, it just makes you feel more calm and relaxed (tea especially) and that can genuinely lift your mood.
- Read a good book. If it’s truly a good book that you get really invested in, it’s a game changer. Again, it puts you in that cozy mood, especially if you pair it with a warm blanket in front of a fire) and gives you something to look forward to each day.
- Watch a movie. Sometimes, you just to need to give in and stay in your pjs all day and have a movie day, which is totally ok as long as you don’t do it every day. Rest and relaxation guaranteed.
- Light candles. These make your space a little brighter and more relaxed, creating an overall calmer atmosphere. Plus, all of the different scents help too. Pumpkin pecan, warm vanilla, twisted peppermint, just to name a few.
- Make Your Bed Everyday. Simple enough, it just helps you feel more accomplished and helps avoid the temptation of crawling back in whenever you get the chance.
- Take vitamins. I’m no expert in this area, but I think I do notice a difference when I take vitamins (multi-vitamin or B-12 or vitamin-D) versus when I don’t. It can’t hurt to add it to you daily regimen and can maybe even help you avoid a cold, so why not?
- Try to eat healthier. Relating to the last one, I notice a difference when I do this versus when I don’t. However, it’s also important to not restrict yourself as a result, i.e. treat yourself to dessert. I love making healthier desserts with the help of Pinterest.
- Go outside. I know that might be the last thing you want to do when it’s cold and windy, but just a short walk with your dog to get some fresh air could help lift your mood.
- Make Pinterest Boards. I talk about Pinterest a lot, but that’s because it really makes me feel inspired and also, since I’m definitely a type-a person, I find satisfaction in categorizing the pins. It’s the little things. Try making a ‘Cozy and Comfy’ or ‘Winter Activities’ board to make you more inspired for the season.
- Bake a New Recipe. This is also where Pinterest comes in, because that’s where I find endless recipes to make. I find it calming and the most rewarding part is tasting the final accomplishment, of course.
BabbleBoxx was kind enough to send me their Cold Weather Comforts subscription box to try out for the upcoming season and I’m super excited about it, because it’s perfect for avoiding the winter blues. It includes a bunch of goodies that help you achieve maximum comfort and coziness for the upcoming season.
(Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by BabbleBoxx.com. All opinions are my own.)
Zippo: Mini Flex Candle Lighter
A lighter is a staple for winter aka candle season. And this lighter is genius. I don’t know why I’ve never seen anything like it anywhere before. It makes it so much easier to light candles and get those hard to reach flames, because the top of it is flexible. Definitely recommend if you want to avoid burning you hand or getting hot wax on you, because that’s probably happened to all of us before.
I’ve become more and more interested in health and wellness over the past years and I’ve been on the search for a good multivitamin, so I’ve been loving these vitamin supplements. It’s so simple–all you have to do is add it to a glass of water or a smoothie. I opted for a glass of cold water and threw in some frozen pineapple to complement the fruity flavor (definitely recommend that, because it took it to the next level) In addition to the good taste, they have so many benefits, i.e. maintaining your heart rate, helping your immune system, and aiding in digestion. So overall, you can’t lose by adding this to your daily winter routine.
Chesapeak Bay Candle: Mind & Body Collection
Of course, what would winter be without candles? This candle is super special though, because it’s enriched with natural essential oils. Those have been all of the craze lately for good reasons too. This scent is super calming, so its perfect for getting in a cozy mood. Compared to other brands (no offense to Bath and Body Works), I’ve noticed that this one’s fragrance is just the right amount of strength, because does anyone else get headaches when a candle is just way too strong? It’s long-lasting too, which is always a major plus, because when I light a candle, it’s pretty much burning for the entire day.
Links by Lisa Becker
I’ve made it a goal of mine to start reading more for fun so this is the perfect oppurtunity. I’ve always been into your typical love story books –think Nicholas Sparks and John Green–so I’m super excited for this romance novel. Of course, I don’t want to give too much away, but it tells the story of two high school classmates that have a chance encounter after 15 years. You’ll have to read it to find out more!
Stuffy Nose Strips
As much as no one likes it, cold weather comes with the standard cold, runny nose and all. So these nasal strips will definitely come in handy. I deal with a stuffy nose throughout the winter season, as I’m sure a lot of you can relate, and nobody enjoys those. They instantly improve your breathing and help in nasal congestion that comes from allergies and colds, in other words, they’re a lifesaver. Use the code XECX9243 for 25% off when ordering.
Tea Forte – Warming Joy Collection
And last but not least– tea. When I’m not drinking coffee, I love drinking tea. I mostly drink it at night because I’d rather not be up all night due to the caffeine in coffee. However, my goal this winter is to opt more for tea rather than coffee, so I’ll let you know how that goes. This holiday tea is part of an annual collection of special holiday teas by Tea Forte. My favorite from the box was ginger snap, because I’ve never had anything like it and it literally tasted like a cookie. 10/10, definitely recommend. Use the code WJ20 for 20% their website (valid through 12/31/17)
Thank you so much for reading, friends!! Let me know any of your cold weather tips & what you think of all the goodies in the box!!